Thanks for your patience while I took some mental-health-time-off after my last crazy project. I appreciate that and have missed you. If you’re brand new to the list, I haven’t missed you as much, but I’m super glad you’ve joined us.
I read an article in GQ about how actor Aziz Ansari from Masters of None (if you haven’t watched this yet, you gotta. It’s brilliant and hilarious writing. The kind of funny where you laugh so hard, milk comes out of your nose. Yep.) quit the internet.
No social media.
I loved the idea of this and decided to give it a try.
During my “time off” I uninstalled all social media from my phone.
No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or anything else with a newsfeed.
The results? You just wouldn’t believe it.
While I work every day writing copy and advertising on social media, and I honestly feel that it’s a fantastic platform for getting your message as a business out there…
Social media socially…feels extremely toxic at the moment to me.
I feel depressed every time I scroll through the newsfeed.
From the “fake news” to the constant stream of meticulously over-styled photos of what everyone is eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (how can every aspect of your life be so perfect all the time? I have boiled eggs for breakfast…nothin’ sexy there), and celebrity twitter fights…
I needed to unhook myself from the craziness.
A few months later now, even though I don’t see what’s happening every day on Twitter…my life has gone on! Fancy that! 😉
And if there’s something important that I need to know…the information manages to find its way to me.
And I’m more present when I’m with friends or out and about because I’m not checking my phone every time it buzzes.
And now, I’ve even picked up a book. I’m currently reading Stephen King’s “On Writing.” (None of his horror stuff because I’m a wuss.)
So how do I manage to be on social media…without “being on social media”?
The magic is all in pre-scheduling your content.
Get in, get out…leave no traces.
With Facebook, you can use Facebook’s own scheduler, so you don’t need to sign up to any third party software.
It’s super simple to use and saves you a ton of time from posting manually, and it rescues you from the newsfeed madness.
I created a video to show you step by step how you can quickly and easily schedule your content on Facebook.
Check out the video:
The video transcript can be found here.
You can also schedule your content on Facebook without even having to open Facebook. I’ll show you how next week.
I hope your summer (for my northern hemisphere friends) or your winter (for us southern hemisphere peeps) has been most excellent, too.
Your geeky marketing friend who doesn’t have social media on her phone anymore,
- Rode SmartLav+ Review and Test | Best microphone for iPhone? -
- Canva Tutorial: How to use Canva 2.0 to create your own beautiful designs and graphics -
- Best phone tripod? Joby GorillaPod Mobile Rig review -
- Best tripod for smartphones? -
- Rode VideoMic Me L Review | Best Microphone for iPhone? -
- Olloclip 3 in 1 Lens Clip review -
- Best Cameras for YouTube – My top 3 cameras reviewed for recording videos for YouTube and business -
- Canva App Tutorial – Step by Step guide on how to use Canva on iPhone to create stunning designs on the go -
- Canva for work – Step by step tutorial on how to use Canva’s paid version -
- How to use Canva – A step by step Canva tutorial for beginners -